City, Captial of Wales, administrative center of South Glamorgan, southern Wales, near the mouths of the Taff and Ely rivers on the Bristol Channel.
Cardiff is also the name of the surrounding county.
Notable structures include the 11th-century Cardiff Castle.
A Roman outpost was established on the site about AD 75. Occupied by the Normans in the 11th century, the community became a possession of feudal lords. It remained a small town until the opening of the Glamorganshire Canal in 1794 made it an outlet for the mineral wealth of southern Wales.
Until 1974 Cardiff was the county town (capital) of the former county of Glamorganshire.